Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Back to Semi-Normalcy

Well, here we are, on the first official day of fall...I think. I'll have to check my farmer's almanac. Anyway, today is also the first day of the fall quarter here at THE Ohio State University, and I'm furiously typing away on a computer in the main library. It's a balmy 70 degrees in Columbus (the weather girl kept saying that it was hot outside this morning...lemme tell you about a little place called Florida, sweetheart!), the campus is just as I remember it, and I'm fully prepared for round two of a hearty ass-whooping from the educational system. Because it's been a while since I've written, I'll catch you up.

So my last entry talked about how the summer quarter was trying to kill me, one calculus equation at a time. Well, I'm proud to say that when the dust settled and the grades got turned in, I managed three As and a B. The B was in my computer science class, which I was just hoping to squeak through with a C- to keep from ever having to see that nonsense again; the B was a pleasant surprise. And yes, I managed to get an A in calculus! Granted, I finished with an 89.6%...but round that bad boy up to the nearest whole number - as is required by published guidance - and voila! 90%. So I got an A by virtue of 1/500th of a point. Skin of my teeth? Maybe. But I'll take it. Also, since that was my very last math class ever, I've kept my streak alive of getting an A in every college math class I've taken (first attempt at college in 1996 excluded, of course). So I wound up with a 3.68 GPA, good enough to put me in the top 15% of my class and fill my mailbox with solicitation from honor societies. Nice...

For my break between terms, I went to Florida to see Jess for a few weeks. What a great trip! Granted, it was hotter than the surface of Mercury (the side that faces the sun) and humid to boot, but it was great to see her again. There was much relaxing, much swimming in the ocean, and much eating of good food. I managed to see some old friends while I was down there (though I didn't get to do as much visiting as I'd hoped, but I felt that my time was better spent with my honey). Kicking and screaming, I headed back to Columbus last Friday. I really do like it better up here; the little thermometer doo-hickey in my truck didn't drop below 97 degrees until I got north of Nashville. It was over 100 through pretty much all of Alabama. When I pulled in my driveway here, it was 54. I was actually cold in my t-shirt and shorts! Jess is gonna come up to visit at Christmas, so I'll be able to turn the tables on her...I hope it snows!

So now I'm back at school. The campus is alive; there are 5,000 new freshmen wandering around all lost and dopey-lookin' who weren't here in the summer. In fact, there are about 40,000 more students here now than there were last quarter. Parking is gonna be an interesting experience. Time to start riding the motorcycle to school! My first class isn't until 9:30 AM, and it's "The History of Rock and Roll." I'm thinking of just coming into the classroom with my Les Paul slung over my shoulder. One would think that would earn me an automatic A. Extra credit, if nothing else, right? I mean, I'm MR. Rock-and-Roll! In kindergarten we had to bring in our favorite song one day; there were lots of Disney records, a few nursery rhymes, stuff like that. Me? I walked in with ZZ Top's "Eliminator" album tucked under my arm. "Sharp Dressed Man, please." Needless to say, I'm not expecting any curveballs in this class. I also have Business Management 330, which is OSU-speak for "another round of statistics." Rounding out my schedule is an Earth Science class, "The Geology of the National Parks" (get it? Rounding out? Earth Science? Because, you know...the Earth...round...never mind. Just forget it). I think stats is gonna be my brainbuster this quarter. Fortunately, I made good friends with everyone in the math lab last quarter with my calculus debacle, so I'll be able to hit them up again. I may have to bribe them, though...

Also, it's FOOTBALL SEASON!!! I had a ticket to the game this weekend, but the Reserves expects me to be in Dayton, so I had to sell it. The next game I'll be here for is against Indiana in a few weeks. By then the air should be crisp, the leaves should be changing, and the place will be GORGEOUS!. Don't worry...I'll take pictures.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to run along so I can teach the professor about Robert Johnson, Blind Willie McTell, and the Beatles. I wonder if my story about meeting Warren Haynes and Buddy Guy will be enough to excuse me from the final...

7 comments:

  1. "Turn the tables" on me, huh? I guess I deserve that, since I control Florida's climate and all. I totally tricked you with the 110+ heat index in August, didn't I? You never saw it coming!

    I'm pretty proud of you, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...you got me good! I'm gonna do a snow dance in December. Because how likely is it to snow in Ohio, in the winter no less?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle is going to Dayton for Christmas but unfortunately Uncle Sam has chosen other destinations for me during the Merry season. Would be good to get together though but there is always next year. Good luck with the classes shouldn't need it but you got it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops just realized its her account I said this on..Sorry buddy its Zach

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for clearing that up, man. I had no idea who DeeDeeMarie was :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to meet Jess in December! Welcome back, can't wait to see you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gretchen, we'll definitely have to get together with you and Matt for dinner! Maybe we can head to German Village to check out the lights and decorations...

    ReplyDelete